The sunset melts into the deep blue sea, It turns a crimson shade (a wonderful free-fall). I just want to have the wind, Take me far away.

In the United States, we have an up-coming three day weekend! I am planning on getting some much needed REST, as well as seeing some friends I have not seen in too long! My friend Lauren and I are going to do an art drop in San Francisco's historic Japantown. I did several sketch cards of 90's and early 2000's anime characters drawn in just simple ballpoint pen and splashed with a little watercolour. I really, really enjoyed doing an art drop at Disneyland last year for my birthday, and have been wanting to do another one ever since. This one is to encourage people to go to Japantown and support the Japanese American businesses. I know that Japanese culture is more than anime. But I also know that Japantown in SF is one of the last remaining three in the US and the pandemic took a toll on the shops there. It's a way to be supportive without being appropriative. 

If I am being perfectly honest, I stopped watching anime in the early 2000's, so I have literally no idea what is popular now, even though I have friends who are anime voice actors. πŸ™ˆ

You can see more of the works in progress for the art drop here!

20230521_203322
Hikaru from Magic Knight Rayearth

One of the things I am concerned about is not being too sure how relevant a lot of the choices I made for the sketch cards in the current anime landscape. I just don't know who any of the new characters are anymore! I hope whomever finds these enjoys them, and I hope it encourages them to look into new works they would have never previously considered! Anime is streaming now and free on YouTube! A far-cry from the Halcyon Days of Yore! (LOL)

I have to make a list of all of the sketch cards and their characters and plot-out where I am going to drop them. Hopefully, I can find relative/corresponding places to the different characters the way I did with the Disneyland art drop. 

Very, very excited for Sunday!

Also, BONUS!

20230521_160153

20230521_160159

Please enjoy how much I love this sweater and now dumb I am to have hurt my chin, lol.


Comments