10 Albums That Changed My Life and Made Me Want to Be a Better Musician (in no particular order)
I feel like the title is self-explanatory, hahaha
1.) Jump! by Van Dyke Parks
It's a "what if" musical about Brer Rabbit inspired by the books Parks wrote with the same name. It is physically impossible for me to be in a bad mood whilst listening to this album. Unfortunately, it's been taken off of most of the streaming platforms. Fortunately for me, I bought it in 2015, which is one of many reasons that, if you are able to, should buy music. I bought it and became re-enamored with it right at the height of my going to New York all of those times, and for years, I was unable to listen to it. I am so glad I gave it a spin again recently, because it's such a comfort to me. It makes me feel so very happy. Plus, the person who almost ruined it would absolutely hate it, so there's that. Everything I do with spite, which strengthens me, etc. Brer Rabbit does it again.
Hot Fuss by The Killers was one of the most special musical moments to happen to me. I didn't think that it could be topped. I was wrong. Sam's Town was even more special to me. I listened to more and more and over and over again. When it comes to The Killers, this one is my favourite. I loved the narratives. I loved the music videos. I loved the title track. A few years ago, I went to the real Sam's Town, and saw their spectacular laser show.
3.) LP1 by FKA twigs
I am very sad that this album has been ruined for me in every way imaginable, so I don't know if I will ever be able to listen to it again, but the truly seminal experience it was for me remains. This song in particular.
4.) In Cold Blood by White Sea
This was the album that inspired me to release my first album. I feel like there is a lot of explanation that has to happen here with this one. My friends went to the same French school that she (Morgan Kibby) did. The younger sibling (the brother), introduced her music to me after she had become part of The Romanovs, a band I absolutely loved and wish we had more music from. Since that time, I had been following her career. It's sort of surreal that she and I are social media friends now. Morgan has always really inspired me to push myself to be a better musician, to produce my own shit. To just BE better.
5.) 'Expedition Happiness' Soundtrack by Mogli
I had heard OF Mogli off and on for a couple of years now. She had flirted in and out of my sphere for a while. It wasn't until I saw an old, dear friend and we drove around for her car a bit with Mogli on in the background that I really had to find out what she was about. The first time I heard this song, my heart stopped. I listened to the album non-stop of months on end. I wanted to be better. I wanted to make better music. I wanted to write something this visceral and pure.
6.) Sunshine Superman by Donovan
Speaking of albums I listen to non-stop.... every October, I have made it a ritual to listen to this album and nothing else for the entire month during my 8-hour work day. Donovan doesn't get enough credit. He is much more interesting, and much better of a musician than many of his peers of his generation. This whole album is really special to me, but this song just speaks to my heart in ways I cannot even articulate.
7.) Lost Girls by Bat For Lashes
Every time Bat For Lashes releases a new album, I think THIS IS MY FAVOURITE ONE! I love 80's music. It is my greatest inspiration as a musician and I could just make New Wave-sounding music forever. This is all my favourite 80's album in one album. I just love Natasha. She is just so unabashedly and endlessly creative, with such an uncompromising vision. Everything she makes is just so special.
8.) Ain't That Good News by Sam Cooke
I remember being so annoyed when the hipsters "discovered" Sam Cooke in the mid-2000's, jajajaja. Ain't That Good News was the eleventh and final studio album by Sam Cooke, and it has some of his best loved songs. To me, this album is the best of Sam Cooke--the voice, the lyrics, the arrangements, the interpretations of other folks' songs. NOT to sound like a hipster, but I have been listening to Sam Cooke since I was a child, and he really, truly informed the way that I sing. Sam Cooke made me want to sing, and made me want to be a better singer.
9.) The Dance Collection by Donna Summer
Disco, particularly Donna Summer, changed music forever and has never been given enough credit for her contributions to this world. Brian Eno and David Bowie said "I Feel Love" was "the future" of music. It's only a synth or 2, her voice, and a drum machine. She really was one of the most special artists to ever live, and really cemented to me that you have to be good. She taught me that music can be both danceable and deeply personal and emotional. She taught me that, above all else, honesty in music is the most important. I love her. I miss her.
Comments
Post a Comment