so I finally saw The Breeders...
So I finally did something 24 years in the making--I finally saw The Breeders.
Here is the setlist from Saturday night. I could only afford to go to one of the shows, but if I could have gotten tickets, I could have done at least 10 more of these. Apparently, a lot of long-time fans who have seen them live multiple times said that last Saturday's show was one of the best, if not THE best, they've ever seen from them. What an amazing first Breeders' show!
In 2002, I saw The Breeders on an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was the same year my grandfather died. Title TK had just come out and was the record they were promoting on the show. I know Last Splash was the 'big' record for them, and that was most people's introduction to them, but Title TK was mine. I love all of their records (minus Pod, which has a lot of weird and... creepy songs on it, so I just ignore the record entirely). Because there was so much turmoil in my life during that period of my life, I blocked much of it out. I had almost forgotten about them, because I associated them with horrible mental health, chaos, and sadness. It wasn't until last year when I found out Kim finally put out her first solo record that I decided to revisit them. I saw someone with a Breeders shirt and looked them up. How could I not have heard of this band before? OH, WAIT!!!! Then I bought a shirt and got added to the fan text mailing list thingy. Through some alt-rock kismet, I got a notification about the SF shows in October, got the pre-sale code, and was able to buy a ticket to the first show (which basically sold out during pre-sale). I wasn't able to get tickets to the second show which had to be added because of demand. I was just grateful to be able to attend the one.
Saturday as a whole was an absolutely crazy day, which I might do a recap of this forthcoming weekend (and I know I never finished my recap for Monterey, but it's still on the list, okay...). I'll save the whole recap for the Saturday recap post, but it was a very emotional day, as part of a very emotional and deeply healing weekend. The concert was just the perfect ending to the day.
But getting to that point was pretty tumultuous. I had made set plans and arrangements, and they fell part (more so, they were kicked part) at the last minute, leaving me scrambling, crying, and panicking about who I was going to take. I don't do "last minute" very well, and this show was (and still is) a pretty big Deal (all puns intended) to me. Thankfully, the first and only person I asked was able to go with me--thanks, Meagan! :D
I don't really care for The Castro as a venue (it's claustrophobic and not at ALL ADA accessible--thankfully, Saturday was a decent enough mobility day), and a lot of the staff is just rude, but I was gonna brave it for The Breeders. A lot of the other attendees were drunk and annoying (including some woman who dropped her BABY on Meagan's head!!!)
The show itself was absolutely incredible, and is going to be one of those nights I remember for the rest of my life. They played and sounded spectacularly. It was raw and blistering and soft all at the same time. Their VOICES were INCREDIBLE. Everything about the songs was fresh, vibrant, evergreen. They felt as timeless as ever. They felt new and raw.. and alive. I felt very much... alive (and I know that sounds silly, but a lot of the time I don't). It was so magical and so... satisfying.
I am going to remember it for the rest of my life as one of its most special moments.


Comments
Post a Comment