So I finally saw PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and I have some... thoughts....
Truly, file this one under, "who is she?!"
And not only have I now seen it, I have seen it *twice*.
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is a show that I have actively avoided my entire theatre-loving life. I didn't like the music I had heard from it. I thought that the supposed "love triangle" was both toxic and boring, and the people who loved the show were obnoxious. Like, I cannot stress to you enough that no one I knew who enjoyed POTO was normal about it, even a little bit.
But I am nothing, if not, a supportive friend.
So when my friend Ben (hi, Ben!) was cast in the national tour of PHANTOM, I had to go. Regardless of how I felt about the show, I wanted to see him shine. Ben is a lovely human being, and insanely talented. I will happily drop everything to see him in anything.
PHANTOM is currently playing at one of my most treasured and beloved venues in the whole world that holds tremendous memories for me.
The second time I saw it, I was RIGHT in front of the chandelier.
This won't be so much a review of the show as much as some thoughts and reflections. This the most beautiful this show has ever looked and sounded. The entire cast is top class, there is not a single weak link. It looks and sounds stunning. The costumes are to die for, the cast is unbelievable. There are some legitimate jump scares. I am glad that I waited so long to see the show because I am glad that I got to see it in this incarnation with this specific incredible cast. The show is an absolute spectacle. That being said, some of the issues with the show itself, the bones of the show itself, cannot be helped. Many of the issues have been smoothed. Actually hearing opera singers sing the opera singer roles completely changes the way that you hear the music, but it does not change the repetition of the score.
That being said, I am very grateful to have seen this show, and would happily see it again to support.
And, most importantly, it was so wonderful to see Ben. I am so proud of his journey and proud to have him as my friend.






Comments
Post a Comment