It's nearly over The last train is here And it's leaving behind those years
This memory is now old enough to vote.
Yesterday, my friend Anna texted me this image. She could not believe it had been 18 years since we did this.
Yesterday morning, I was listening to Season of Poison by the band Shiny Toy Guns. I was feeling particularly nostalgic because I was wearing that velvet blazer, and wanted to revisit some of that time period. Not all of it, mind you, but some of it.
In February of 2008, I had just started as a junior at SFSU. Little did I realize that this would be such a seminal year for the whole world.
I can look back through my Flickr account and see more of what the world was like. I kept more record of it on Facebook than I did Flickr at that point, because the uploading interface on Facebook was lightly less clunky and only slightly more reliable.
2008 was the year I was Brandon Flowers from the Killers (I spent more of my Halloweens in drag).
This was taken right before I fell off.
Anna and I always DID have such tremendous fun.
I remember very fondly and distinctly walking through campus my first day at SFSU in January of 2008. I remember my shitty Old Navy jeans, my polka dot Payless fake Vans slip-ons. The campus was cold and quiet, and relatively empty. I had to walk up through the whole campus from a distant bus stop. It was during my era of my shortest hair.
Season of Poison sounds so very 2008 in every way possible. It's the only Shiny Toy guns record to have Sisely Treasure sing on it (and it's actually the only one that I liked). I cannot think of an album that so singularly and quintessentially captures the "vibe" of 2008 than this Shiny Toy Guns record.
What a strange time to have been alive.





Comments
Post a Comment