it's only forever... not long at all....
Yesterday, I went to the special screening for the 40th anniversary of Labyrinth at my local cinema.
I written about this film countless times, and seen it countless times more than that. Seeing it last night was like seeing it for the very first time.
I don't go to the movies very often; in fact, I very much avoid it at all costs, both because it's incredibly expensive and there is nothing that I want to see. It has been ages since I have actually wanted to go and see a film. They usually show Labyrinth in the cinemas around David Bowie's birthday, so I had been keeping an eye out for it. My friend Allison sent a text to the group asking if we wanted to see it, and OF COURSE I emphatically said yes! I wanted to take my niece and nephew to see it, but, unfortunately that didn't happen. I would have been a really wonderful way for them to see it for the first time. π
I prepped all of my clothes on New Years Day for the next couple of weeks, and pulled out my sweatshirt and purse and had it all ready to go. (My new shoes and mask also matched, but I was unable to get a picture of the whole coord.) I do love a good theme, and I love dressing up for things (I do have pics of the pants and the shoes I wore, just with other clothes, which I will post tomorrow), and this was just such a fun excuse to wear all these things!
The 10th anniversary of Bowie's passing really hit me hard this year because I cannot believe he has been gone for that long already. He really is such a formative and seminal part of my life, and I don't know who I would be without him or if I would even still be here. This anniversary, as well as the 40th anniversary of the film, really made this special--as was seeing it with some of my best friends.
Even though Labyrinth has shaped the core of my very being, I had never seen it in cinemas before, and seeing it that way actually made me feel as though I was seeing it for the very first time. There is something that I WILL give seeing things in cinema, is that you have to be very present. There were so many things I noticed seeing on a big screen I had never noticed before--how sparkling everything was, the face of Jareth everywhere. You really got a sense for the scope of the sets and the depths of the world-building because it was all so huge in front of you.
I cried at the end, as I always do. IDK, it hit me a little harder than it usually does, with the anniversary of both Bowie's death and the film's age, with not being able to share it with my niece and nephew, but getting to share it with some of my best friends-- all that stuff hits you like a ton of bricks. Hopefully, I will be able to watch it with the kids soon. π
It's still in cinemas for a few more days, and I might go and see it again. ππ

Comments
Post a Comment