everybody knows you just rephrase the question

I wanted to take a few days as a break between thinking about my albums. I wanted to give this one some space, because it was the last one I've released.


The release of "Last Chance to Exit" was an impulse. 4 of the songs had been seen on an EP, but I really thought they were too special to just live as an EP. I had a few more songs that fit tonally, so, on an absolute WHIM, I said, BOOM, this is coming out. It didn't even have a title before

2022 marked the end of my relationship with a lot of things, and thinking about the finality of those endings really hit me. A lot of my relationships with people and things I loved had come to a close. So I thought about a sign that was on one of my favourite attractions--telling you this was your last chance to get off or get out of line, because there was no turning back. "Last Chance to Exit!" You could either opt out and exit the ride--or you could be brave and just DO it.




 

There  are a lot of little references to that attraction sprinkled throughout this record. There are a lot of mentions of betrayal and death. A lot of questions like, "what would Brer Rabbit do?" "at what point do I get to catch a break?!"  I've talked about a lot of these songs before, so I won't rehash them too much, but in terms of record-making, I think that this was probably my most solid complete *album*.

I honestly considered "Last Chance to Exit" my quiet farewell to making pop music, because I transitioned almost exclusively to classical music. I got tired of making pop music and having to fight to be heard. (Not that classical music is much better in that regard, lol). I don't know what the future of me making pop music holds, but this album definitely closed a chapter.




Comments