I'm stuck with me, you have freedom to leave

 This is being released as a single on November 14th.



Was this already released as a single? Yes. Didn't this album come out over 3 years ago? Yes.

Three years ago, I wanted to take  a break from CD Baby. I wanted to try a different distributor because they had ties to Sony. After a couple of very successful releases through them, I (and thousands of other artists) were dropped, and our music was removed. When I released the album (through CD Baby), I didn't have it in me to release the song as a single again.

I wrote this song in an afternoon. It was written, performed, mixed and mastered in about 3 hours. It was pure and honest and visceral.

It's about being forced on multiple incompatible psych meds as a teenager, instead of being supported and getting the help that I actually needed. It's about having to live with the fact that I behaved badly and hurt people when I was on these meds I was forced on against my will. It's about knowing that I have done things I can never take back, that they get to leave, but that I am stuck with myself. It doesn't matter if I am sorry, it doesn't matter if I didn't mean to, it doesn't matter if I was a child medicated against my will, I did those things, and they are things I will have to live with for the rest of my life.

Again, I would like to reiterate that I am not against or opposed to SRIs. They are life change and saving for those who benefit from them. But the ones I was forced on were clearly incompatible. SRIs are also not useful to people who do not have chemical imbalances, and have more situationally-based issues. I cannot take them, but I encourage the people who can and who need to to do so.

I don't know how much good releasing anything as an indie artist is these days, but even if no one streams this as a single, that it at least had the attention from me it needed.




Comments