I saw you in the gallery. With your torso and family. A huge, smiling, central face

 This last Sunday, I went to the Oakland Museum of California for the first time in 10 years!

20251116_105039

It stormed the whole weekend, and I had been wanting to go for some time now to see their two new special exhibitions. I saw this reel on Instagram about going to the museum on a  rainy day with one's Labubu, and I was sold, lol.πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

20251116_100908
On my way!


20251116_102915
Disassociating my ever-loving brains out in the tunnel. IDK how people do this multiple times a day. It's crazy, because I have used the NYC subway dozens of times to go under the East River, and NONE of them have ever been as terrifying as going through the Transbay Tube! (*update, upon some quick Googling, the Transbay Tube is way deeper down under the water, and a much longer route!)

20251116_104141

20251116_104434
 We're here!

There were a LOT of people waiting around outside to get in, which made me so immensely happy!

20251116_110104

20251116_110113

20251116_110320
I just thought this was so beautiful.

20251116_110635
The koi pond was one of the things that always stuck out to me from my childhood. It's such a peaceful area.

20251116_110800
Fit check!

20251116_111146
The reason(s) I was there! Highly recommend both of these!

20251116_111257

20251116_111350

20251116_111308

20251116_111644

20251116_112116

20251116_112535

20251116_112851

20251116_113421

Next up was the California history hall. There are three main galleries, art, history, and natural sciences. The art one leaves MUCH to be desired and I will always skip it. The other two are so huge, you don't feel like you're missing out of anything or being skimped in any way.

20251116_114204

20251116_114244

20251116_114329 20251116_114555

20251116_114707

20251116_114712
One of the informational videos had my late friend and mentor Kathy Wallace. I was not expecting to see her. I cried (a lot). I love and miss you, Kathy. πŸ’”

20251116_115440

20251116_115446
Same, honestly.

I joke this guy is my true love--grown up Huck Finn (looking at my picture, no less)
20251116_115635

20251116_115659

20251116_115714
πŸ’˜

20251116_115739
The bestest boy.

20251116_120725

20251116_120730
An icon, honestly.

20251116_121500
This was one of my favourite parts, to the surprise of literally no one. 

20251116_122226

20251116_122225
This s e n t me.

20251116_122325

20251116_122515

20251116_123807
Lunch break. This sandwich is as good as it claims to be ("the best ever").

20251116_125518 20251116_125514
Onto my absolutely favourite gallery, the hall of Natural Sciences.

20251116_125841

20251116_130208
omg, squirrel!

This gallery reminds me of Wes Anderson, and, for once, I do not mean that in the most disparaging way possible!
20251116_130309

20251116_130003

20251116_130316
I had to go back and take this because this angle was so cool.

20251116_130407
He looks like he's singing!

20251116_130437

20251116_130527

20251116_130807

20251116_130701

20251116_130857

20251116_131006

20251116_131159

20251116_131241

20251116_131233

20251116_131218

20251116_131400

20251116_131328

20251116_131630

20251116_131946

20251116_132007

The small exhibit for the 75th anniversary of Children's Fairyland was so cute! I don't have any Fairyland nostalgia, because it  I thought it was closed for much of my childhood, so we never went. Although, apparently it wasn't? Either way, I think most of the stuff in it is low key terrifying (WTF even is that whale?!). Although I was pleasantly surprised to see they have done plays about my old buddy Brer Rabbit in the past

20251116_132320

20251116_132329

20251116_132344

20251116_132338

20251116_132247

20251116_133230
I thought this mural was so neat! The OCMA is right across from Oakland's Chinatown

It was such a nice day trip, and I wasn't even out for that long. I don't spend very much time in the East Bay (mostly because of that tunnel). I definitely want to go back soon. The ticket with the special exhibition was only $25, and you get a LOT for that $25! I didn't even utilize all of the museum had to offer. It was so nice, and it was so cozy with the rain, I absolutely look forward to going back. 

Comments