LET US BE GLAD
I saw the US National Tour of WICKED!
The real ones know that they were silver slippers.
Last Sunday, I took my mom to see WICKED! WICKED is her favourite and, whilst it's a "whatever" show for my a lot of the time, this is the best I've ever seen it. WICKED originated in San Francisco, and I've seen it in its almost every iteration, and this is by far and away, by leaps and bounds, the best time I've ever had seeing it. I cried through most of the show, which honestly never happens.
Spoilers from here on out (and this is assuming you've seen the show):
Lauren Samuels as Elphaba is the Elphaba of the ages. She is by far and away the best Elphaba I've ever seen. She has the emotional depth, she has the most spectacular voice she has absolute control over. She has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard, and I would legitimately call her voice perfect. There was not even a hint of strain in the belt parts, and she had just as much control over her quiet moments. She has commanding stage presence. Her acting was also absolutely spectacular, and everything about her acting felt very natural and real. I cried during "The Wizard and I," which, like, wtf!!! lol.
Austen Danielle Bohmer was a really great Glinda, and probably my favourite Glinda. Her operatic high notes were not as showy as Kristin Chenoweth or Alli Mauzey, but it WORKED because Austen has SUCH a sweet voice, and it's very emotive and powerful. Like Austen hit those notes (and HOW--the high C6 in "Thank Goodness" blew the ROOF OFF), but they weren't operatic. They were also not in the slightest bit shrill. She really made great a transition between really strong and clean belting and the notes at the of "Thank Goodness." They were incredibly powerful. I really liked how her performance was also incredibly naturalistic and NOT cartoonishly over the top. She was very much like a real girl with a slightly goofy streak, and so her performance wasn't at all distracting. Her chemistry with Lauren is also very special and you can tell their friendship on stage and off is genuine. They really take that emotional journey together, and you can tell it's genuine.
Aymee Garcia as Madame Morrible was a really great choice. Her acting was PERFECT. She also has a very strong singing voice, and a great stage presence.
Blake Hammond was a truly wonderful Wizard of OZ. He was warm and charismatic. The character is supposed to be a little/a lotta evil, and I think that his jovial and good nature really threw the evil part for a loop because he was so exceedingly charming whist saying horrible things.
Erica Ito as Nessa Rose--all I can say is WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW. I have seen a better Nessa Rose!!! First of all, she has such a sweet and spectacular voice. Secondly, the transition she makes from little sister to an all out freaking MONSTER in the second act is chilling.
Alex Vihn as Boq was also a huge highlight to me. I had yet to be impressed with a Boq (although I think the one I saw in September 2010 on the first national tour was the actual worst I've seen?). I just thought the character was whiny and simpy. Well, Alex blew that out of the water! This is the only time the person playing Boq fully portrayed the character arc to its fullest potential. His Boq was nuanced and layered and when he goes into full villain mode in the second act, it was not wishy-washy. It was actually really unnerving!
Xavier McKinnon had the hard task of playing another character in the show I've never been moved enough to care about. Let me tell you, he is the best Fiyero I've ever seen. First of all, we love a book accurate Fiyero! Secondly, again, for the first time ever, I saw someone who did the full emotional depth and arc to the character that is deserved. His voice is also incredible. I would say I had yet to see a Fiyero that didn't bore me, and Xavier was the opposite of that!
There is not enough that can be said about Kingsley Leggs as Doctor Dillamond!!!!
This tour cast is so special and they are all so amazing together. It was like I was seeing this show for the very first time, and I feel like, for the very first time, I was seeing it in a way that was actually telling the story and not just a string of very famous songs. This isn't, of course, to outwardly knock the other casts I have seen, because a lot of them were either very strong, or had really stellar stand outs in them. This was the first time where everyone was the stand out!




Comments
Post a Comment