Mark the passing of days Through parks where pale colonnades arch in marble and steel
I will never be an East Coast girl, even if my ancestral bloodlines run deep into the very soil. New York is too expensive, too gritty, too...itself, for lack of a better description.
When I last visited in 2017, I never thought I was ever going to go back. The City had changed, and I felt less and less welcome there. A lot of my "friendships" and connections were severed (read: sabotaged), the energy of the City post-moldy orange election had changed. Shifted into something strange. It changed, and more so, I changed.
Last year, when I saw my friends (who are from NY) in concert, I, on a whim, looked at plane tickets to go see them on Broadway. I just hit BUY without really thinking about it. I had friends to see in their respective shows, new friends to see. This would be the longest time I had ever spent in the City.
I've been thinking about it ever since I got back. I spend so much of my life alone, and I spent much of that vacation alone--even if I did spend a lot of time with friends, much of my time was spent alone. For the first time.... in perhaps ever, I felt.... lonely by myself.
I absolutely got overwhelmed by how expensive everything was, and I ran out of money on the trip sooner than I thought. I got over stimulated more easily than I normally do. And for the first time--maybe ever--I wanted someone else to be there.
The next time I go, I hope that I get to go with someone else.















Comments
Post a Comment