What is the perfect opera?

 La Traviata ranks consistently as the most performed opera in the world, and is considered the "perfect opera."

It has all the makings of a hit: a strong and captivating female lead, high drama, incredible costumes, songs that most people recognize from either commercials or cartoons, and a relatively easy plot.

But is it "perfect?"



Well...

I actually don't think that it's perfect

In fact, I think much of  the second act is unbearable, and wanders off into the convoluted weeds. The exchange between Violetta and the father goes on way too long; I think that could have been easily cut in half.

The opera itself is a star vehicle; if your do not have a sensational Violetta, both in acting and voice, the entire piece falls apart. It a demanding role mentally, emotionally, and physically--let alone vocally. Violettas are expected to deliver show-stopping coloratura, perfectly showing off multiple high E6s, in the first act, and then no coloratura again for the entire rest of the opera. There are multiple cadenzas (my personal Achilles' heel!). If you do not have someone who can command that level of  perfection, stage presence, and technique, everything else goes off the rails.

While I don't think the opera itself if perfect, I think it's the perfect opera for someone who has never gone to the opera. I also think that it's okay for beautiful and meaningful pieces of art that touches millions of peoples' lives to be imperfect. There's nothing wrong with that. I think it's a great start for someone who is interested, but has no idea where to start.

I think one of the reasons why La Traviata is so endearing is that, at its core, it is a very human story, with complicated and nuanced characters, and real, human connections. The opera opens with a huge party being thrown by a woman, loved by everyone, who is secretly dying. She's chosen to tell no one other than her maid and her doctor. The insipid party girl is actually selfless. The boyish love interest is a jealous monster. The quiet maid who says nothing sees everything. 

I do think that there are certain pieces of art that withstand the test of time, not just because they are over-promoted or over-hyped; I think La Traviata is one of those things that is appropriately, deservedly-hyped.

Whilst I don't think the opera itself if perfect, CAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS PERFECT PEFORMANCE???? 

Comments