HADESTOWN was never really on my radar; I have lost interest in most musical theatre, especially newer shows, I had never watched the Tony Awards' performance. I knew Andre Deshields won the Tony that year, and I thought that was exciting! I knew that Eva Noblezada was in it, and I adore her (she is just so exceptional and lovely). I also knew, very vaguely, about the allusions to New Orleans and those influences on the show, as well as it being a modern-ish retelling of Orpheus and Eurydice. The latter most reason of which is why I had avoided the show. Orpheus and Eurydice is a story that hits way too close to home and I avoid anything to do with it at all costs.
A few months ago, one of my oldest and best friends texted me asking if I wanted to go see HADESTOWN, and I was never going to tell him no! At the last minute (as in last week), I bought tickets to see the Wednesday matinee, getting my favourite seats at the top of the balcony, in the very last row next to to the stairs on the left. I am not one of those people who wants to sit up close at shows, I love being able to see the whole set. You don't miss out on anything, because everyone is loud enough, and I love seeing the sets and floor move and stuff.
JM texted me before I showed up that there was a bus with high schoolers who were p u m p e d to be there that had just gotten in before I arrived. They also ended up sitting near us, and the whole balcony was packed. Thankfully, they were all very well behaved and reacted strongly to everything that happened during the performance, which ended up actually being really enjoyable. The whole mezzanine was all but empty (which I am sure performers can see from the stage) but the audience we had was raucous enough for 9 times the amount of people you could fit in the mezz. One particular instance was the opening "hello" in "Hello, Little Songbird," which sent the entire balcony of high school students into roaring laughter.
I love the Orpheum and I have seen many, many shows here. At one time in my life, I considered this place a home of my heart. I have all but stopped going to see live shows anymore, not just because of the price point and the pandemic (and people not masking, UGH). Theatre just isn't part of my life anymore and I am just... okay with that. Seeing the story of Orpheus in a theatre named after him in a place that had one point in my life was so special to me wasn't lost on me, but I had tried to not think about it as best I could (until I could no longer avoid it, but that's for later).
So, the show itself!:
-I went in almost completely blind. I knew one of the songs my friend Julie sang in concert, but it had not context. I knew how it was going to potentially end because of the Orpheus story itself. But that was it
-The cast was amazing. I really loved the chemistry between Hades and Persephone, give whoever did that casting a huge raise. Now THAT is a power couple.
-Give that whole cast a huge raise. There wasn't a single person phoning it in, and the energy was incredible. The high schoolers gave it right back to them, and it was such a great kinetic exchange. It was a Wednesday matinee and they were giving it one thousand and ten percent like they were performing for the Pope or something, it was a joy to see.
-I also really liked that there were no "big names" and that the show (and the talents of the folks they cast) could just speak for itself.
-The music was good! I thought the numbers that leaned more into the NOLA-adjacent stuff worked better for me than the soft-boy singer-songwriter stuff, but that wasn't bad at all, and I think it worked really well for Orpheus' personality and characterizations.
-I've made it no secret that romance is not my thing, and I have a hard heart in that regard. Romance as plot points (or the entire plot) is the easiest way for me to lose interest. The Young Love between Orpheus and Eurydice was so sweet, and I won't like, it did get to me. Like it had the right amount of pathos and the actors were so convincing, I did have a few "awwwwww" moments. It was so well done it... legitimately made me sad that I never had that kind of pure, innocent or sweet experience as a young person. Again, it's not that I even want those things, but the 'what if's of "what if I had had at least one normal, healthy, deeply human experience everyone else gets to have?"
-I was honestly very confused much of the time. π I think most of the people there other than me were super into the show and knew every breath of it. There was also something about climate change, which someone had mentioned to me about it before, and that I kind of picked up on, but didn't really understand--I felt so dumb! Some of the lyrics were hard to decipher (which is always a problem at the Orpheum).
-I know that it took nods from Les Miz in many regards, but it had the same problem is has where the 1st act is packed and then the 2nd act stays in the same place and mills around.
I realized half way through the show that I recognized one of the musicians on stage and then all of the emotions I had managed to keep a lid on so far had come flooding out. I managed to collect myself very quickly, but it was a moment at odds with the raucous "Our Lady of the Underground" ( did I mention that the casting for Persephone was *perfect*?). Everyone else is having a grand olde time, and here is Niagara Falls pouring down my face.
All in all, I really enjoyed it! It was so nice to hang out with my friend again, and I know getting to see stuff like this is a huge treat for him, too. I can really see why people love this show so much and why it's a bit of a cult hit with the kids.
Comments
Post a Comment