Oh, the priests and the friars They approach me in dread Oh, for I love you still Oh, my life, and you're dead
A few days ago, the great Sinéad O'Connor walked on.
She was only 56.
She was a complex person. She was a person of steadfast convictions and immeasurable talents. She was a true patriot to her country in every sense of the word. She paid dearly for her stance against the abuses of the Catholic Church, and she was absolutely correct.
It's funny to look back on it now, given that the abuse victims have finally been able to speak out, and be heard. It's strange to think that this incredible moment of protest was treated as a "joke," as was her mental illness. She was seen as a spoiled and attention-seeking brat, and not indomitable truth-teller. It would continue to be treated as a "joke," and a punchline. Response from several prominent men would be to threaten violence against her; other would mock her mental health problems in ways that remain unconscionable and cruel (which I will, personally, never forgive).
She spoke out for racial justice, trans lives, children's safety, women's health, and for Irish culture and freedom. She spoke out against police violence before it was a trend. She didn't care if you liked her or not because she was here to do the right thing no matter the personal cost.
I could never call her a "flawed" person, because how are standing up for justice or suffering from mental illnesses flaws? There is no polite way to speak out or fight against abuse.
I know that she is most famous for her cover of the Prince song, but absolutely nothing compares (pun intended) to her own writing abilities. She was a singular voice, both in the literal sense of both the haunted and pure quality of her vocals, and her incredible writing prowess.
In one of her last public messages, she said that there was a new album on the way, and that she had plans to tour well into 2025.
And now she's gone.
Sinéad O'Connor was a real ally in every since of the word, someone who sacrificed so much and used her platform for others, at the expense of her own career. She risked her own physical safety to speak out against abuse.
Sinéad, I am sorry. I am sorry the world didn't understand you the way that they should have. I am sorry that even after all of the cases against the Church came to the surface that the world never apologized to you. I am sorry that you had to struggle so deeply for so long, and that you were openly mocked for it. I hope that you are finally at peace.
You gave us everything, and we didn't deserve you.

Comments
Post a Comment