“The very things that held you down are gonna carry you up and up and up.”
Recently, I have been re-thinking my relationship with Disney and the Disney parks. I have no interest in Orlando (outside of Animal Kingdom) because everything at the Florida parks looks cheap and ugly, and even though the Disneyland in Anaheim is the original and the home of my heart, it's changing in ways that my heart cannot take.
I haven't shared this outside of telling a couple of friends in person (and trigger warning here for misconduct/SA/ harassment), but on my birthday trip last year, I got groped on Haunted Mansion by a strange young man. It was ON my actual birthday. The young man was in the stalled Doom Buggy next to us and he reached over into ours (that of mine and my friend) and grabbed my boob. He was sitting next a Plaid, who said nothing. When I made a complaint to guest services, the response was a "sorry you were offended." Increasingly, guest behaviour at the Anaheim Disneyland (and I am sure like other places, too, because I keep reading about how people in live theatre spaces also cannot behave to save their mortal souls) is atrocious. (This was also, sadly, not the first time I was groped at Disneyland!) Whether it was that or the young men (I am sensing a theme here) screaming obscenities and racial slurs on other attractions--again, which cast members did nothing about, to how dirty the parks are, to how expensive it is and everything broken down, I think that my last trip was a good final Disneyland trip for me. I fear that I would let it be ruined forever--more than it already has. So I can let the Disneyland I once loved live forever in my memory.
I was hesitant to share being groped because I didn't want it to blow up and I didn't want attention (of any kind) for relaying that story, but for someone who saw Disneyland as a safe place for them, it's honestly devastating.
On my 2019 trip, there was another instance. It was also, unfortunately, on my birthday. There was a man screaming (and I mean screaming) at his wife, who was also named Melody, stupid (among other things), and calling their son (who, by the looks of it, was used to his father being abusive and screaming) other horrible names. The grandparents looked appalled, but also looked like they were used to this. In this instance, cast members had stepped in. But the damage was already done. I was disassociated, shaking, and crying. I am glad in this instance that there was some intervention. I actually still freeze up (even if briefly) when I am in that section of the park.
I have been doing some breaking up with Disney, period, over the last couple of years, and even though the magic of Disneyland in Anaheim is spoiled for me, I want to.... I want to maybe find comfort in some of the other parks.
One of my dearest friends, Sadie, has been to Disneyland Paris many, many times, and has always taken such beautiful photos. She (and many others) have insisted that Disneyland Paris is the most beautiful of all of the Disneylands.


Comments
Post a Comment