Surely I know, somewhere I don't Fear anymore
TW: this entry talks about various forms of abuse; if this isn't for you, then you can skip this one. Be safe and excellent to yourself and each other.
I saw a Bumble advert on BART yesterday that made me burst into tears. If I see it again today, and if I remember, I will take a photo of it. It's a very nice illustration, and this is not a slight against the artist who rendered it by any means, but it certainly hit me like a ton of unexpected emotional bricks.
(Not that I am particularly attached to dating apps, or have very much experience with them. My only interaction with them was the one time I made an OKCupid account as an April Fool's joke to catfish my friends.... I am a nice person, and a great friend, I promise.)
As someone who has had multiple stalkers, and tends to attract people who are hyper-fixated on me in ways that are 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Percent Unhealthy, the idea of "putting myself out there" on the internet in that way is not appealing to me.
Something about the advert just socked me in the gut. I thought about it all night, and finally figured it out this morning: this is something that so many other people get to experience and yet is completely foreign to me. I had the same kind of reaction that I had watching the fan-made video of the Ghost song "Life Eternal." It's nostalgic and sweet (OBVIOUSLY before the hard, HARD left). It made me miss something. Something that I have never been able to experience in a healthy, normal way the way that other people get to. I never got to be a young person who got to do normal ("normal") things or experiences.
I don't date. I had a nervous breakdown in 2017 and I stopped experiencing most forms of attraction. I am now also almost entirely touch averse. I had spent years healing, and the actions of two very, very selfish people threw all of that work away. I have done a lot of very hard work since then, but the results haven't yielded the progress I thought, or I was promised, I would have. I have accepted that this IS my life now. I think this bothers other people more than it bothers me--it has always bothered other people more than it bothers me. I don't think about it so much, not nearly as much as other people seem to think about it. Or want to talk about it. Or ask questions about it.
I am also repeatedly reminded that I am going to be 36 this year, and that my time is running out (because women have expiration dates, and men don't--obviously!).
I don't understand the fixation other people have with it--like it deeply bothers them that I somehow live my life devoid of something that they have built their lives devout around.
And that somehow, this bothers them more than what got us, or rather, me there in the first place: the childhood CSA/ trafficking/ stalking, the being s3xualized from an early age, being assaulted by two close male friends from childhood, the never being treated like a real, human person with agency or feelings. I have had a very hard knock life, and I have just accepted that this is another hard knock to roll with, no more, no less. There are a lot of other things to worry about (I wish someone would tell that to my friends who, whilst the ice caps are melting and the world is spiraling out of control, only ever seem to care about not having a boyfriend).
What happened to me as a child repulses people away from me--like they don't want to touch the girl whose father did that to her, as if it were something that I had done or that it was a badness that was a reflection of me. Either they are horrified or terrified by it, or it makes them immediately more interested in me, and they try to use it to their advantage through manipulation tactics that are very easily seen through. THANKS to being told I was/am worthless my entire life, I immediately distrust people who say nice things to me.
I am not bitter, and I am only rarely sad. There are just so many more enriching and salient experiences in this world outside of the one type of love that is upheld above all others. That is for other people and it's not for me, and I promise you, that's fine. I have so many more things to worry about. I have so many more things to focus on. I have pets I love, and a beautiful niece (soon to be two nieces!) and nephew who are my entire world. I have some truly wonderful friends. I do get sad sometimes. I am not going to pretend that I don't. I am not going to pretend that sometimes things like certain songs, or that Bumble train advert, don't make me come undone. I don't dwell on the things I don't have, or whine and cry because I don't--trust me, there are a lot of things I don't have. I feel some of those absences more acutely than others.
The constant dehumanization is no joke. More than anything, that has taken a very serious toll on me.
There is only one person that I can think of whom I do not hate, but I do think that they are incredibly silly. They were clumsy and stupid, but they were not cruel or selfish like the others. This person once burst into tears because they could not believe that we lived in a world where I could not be loved. I would go on to be a character in their online comic (this is not a joke, and is a real thing that happened), their long lost star girl that they would never see again. But I wasn't and am not a star girl. I am not an apparition or a fantastic being. I was and am a real girl with real feelings, and I was not and am no lost forever. You (this person), knew how to get ahold of me. But instead of talking to me like an adult, I became a fantasy, without nuance or agency.
Our friendship was very brief, intense, and tumultuous. The one of few little adventures we did go on still remain two of my most treasured memories. For years I would revisit some of the places that they took me--a sort of a Brigadoon-y, "I know it's not there, I just want to see where it was." They were attractive, charming, and funny. They indulged my whimsy, my need for magic in every day things, my love of things like lights in trees, going to playgrounds at night, cutting capers. This was the only experience I have never had of going on what would be traditionally considered "dates." My grandmother also liked them.
But when it was over, it was OVER, and it was UGLY. We have never spoken since. They handled it badly, and I handled that worse. I still think about being a character in their comic, again, a figure of myth, a fantasy, without nuance or agency.
The one thing that I do find myself sad about is that I often find myself as a fantasy, without nuance or agency, instead of a real person who gets her feelings hurt and is too fragile to be that selfish with.
For this very reason, there are almost no photos on my Flickr account from 2016. That is because (outside of the innumerable celebrity deaths) 2016 was a terrible year. This is one of the few days of 2016 I choose to remember. It was raining that day just like it's raining right now. I had my designated faves at a cafΓ© I no longer go to because it's no longer a "safe" place in my brain.




Comments
Post a Comment