You Can't Run Away From Trouble: Be Honest, you don't actually care.

I refer to this mandatory viewing by this incredibly brilliant mind. Once again, as always, Kat Blaque nailed it. People don't actually care about racism, but they sure want to make sure everyone has seen their performance of caring.



To be perfectly honest, there is a very specific kind of person I think of when I make these posts. Actually, there are several  very specific people I think of very specifically and imagine in my  head when I write these out. They are all people whom I consider absolutely insufferable, and some of the worst that humanity has to offer. The irony of this is that they consider themselves One of the Good Ones. Sure, Jan.

che_x3c

One of the biggest issues that I have about the performance of caring is that it's not rooted in anything meaningful. That dreaded movie that shan't be named comes up at cocktail parties (barf), used a piece of trivia, a "gotcha" in conversation, a topic to expound on, in the most vomit-inducing smug voice as possible. "~uu huu huu~, don't you know, that's Disney's most ~racist~ movie, which *I* know because I am Not Like Other [Girls]." Okay, so, um, what does you knowing  that piece of trivia and expounding on something that you, as a non-BIPOC person, are in no position to quantify actually have to do with anything? What does that have to do with the actual people whom this film effects? What happens when you're done grandstanding about it and get to put it away? At your cocktail party [with not a single BIPOC person present]? Also, like, we get it it, the film sucks, but like, why TF are you so obsessed with talking about it?!

Because it's not rooted in equality or justice, it's rooted in a bizarre one-upmanship. Look, man, I don't understand why anybody thinks that they need to use someone else's pain to pwn folks they think are beneath them, but I am just a stupid Injun, so what the fuck do I know? IDK man, the way that some people are literally obsessed with bringing that dreaded film up and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea percent using the fact that it's taboo and salacious. It doesn't make you an ally. It just makes you a weirdo. (A lot of these people are also those Blue No Matter Who culty weirdos, which, like, I am JUST gonna leave THAT there.)

The very saddest thing for me is that, because these people are in no position to quantify the things they are talking about, because they don't actually understand why something is harmful, or how it's harmful, the most important aspects of the conversation get lost. Take, for example, that dreaded film which shan't be named. It's not just that it has a harmful message, intentional or not, it's -very specifically- that it misuses Black and Indigenous religious figures for that harmful message. Religious figures that were used as a means of resistance against the very things that they film sugarcoats. But that would all escape your comprehension if you didn't actually know or understand what you were talking about and why.

The other thing about people and their performance of caring about these topics, is that if you don't validate their performances, they lose their ever-loving minds. How dare we not validate something that is so obviously fake, I guess?! And even giving them the most gentle of corrections, "actually [this] is harmful," they will not hear it. Magically they no longer want to be allies because we are "too difficult," or, better yet, they flat out admit that they don't care. Or, in the case of the Blue No Matter Who weirdos suddenly everything they were outraged about before doesn't exist anymore because now it's their dude doing it.

Everyone just wants their way and they want to "win" and they don't care who they hurt in the process.

Again, I just have to ask, who is this even for? (I mean, I KNOW that the real answer is their wild ass fucking weirdo egos). Selective outrage, especially when so much of it is so artificial, creeps me the fuck out, IDK, man.


Comments