You know what? "Jaws" is vastly overrated.

 

Jaws used to be one of my favourite films. But then I grew up.

Let me explain.

Jaws was always one of my favourite films. I have the original pressing of the Jaws soundtrack. Jaws kickstarted my love of all things related to the ocean and marine biology. Jaws also probably kickstarted my obsession with horror. I saw it in theatres for the 2015 anniversary. I have multiple Jaws-related items, including a poster-parody of Jaws and the Unknown Pleasures album cover. I am that person.

Recently, I've been trying to find myself again by re-exploring things that I once absolutely loved, Jaws being one of them. And, let me tell you, did it not hold up since the 2015 viewing.

  • 79% of the world's shark population is gone, a large part due to this film.
  • Holy shit, this movie is long. There is no reason why this movie had to be over 2 hours long. Also, holy shit, I watched the TV edits as a kid and I am grateful they had cut as much of them getting drunk on the boat as they did. I can't stand people drinking, even if it's just in a film, and not even real life, but watching three  ineffective people just sit around and be stupid for--what? 45 fucking minutes? or something like that?! Oh my God, no thank you.
  • I know the lack of shark has been criticized by other people, but "part of the point" was that you didn't see the shark until the big reveal at the end. If the movie had been shorter, I feel like it wouldn't have felt as excessive.
  • Mrs. Kintner would have had this solved in like 20 minutes.
  • The film has a great score, a perfect cast, and it has a lot of really lovely thrill elements, and I love my some 70's aesthetics.  It's well directed. It's not enough to save this movie, which is just too damn long, oh my GOD.
  • I think people are afraid to say that this film doesn't hold up or count it as anything less than one of the greats more of an Emperor's New Clothes and less of this film actually holding up.
  • IDK, the anti-shark propaganda (which has had devastating ecological consequences), the excessive length, and the long stretches of time where men just sit around and are ineffective and or drunk just don't... do it for me anymore.
I can still appreciate it for what it is. It just doesn't have the star of perfection in my eyes anymore, because I grew up.

Comments