I owe you no benediction
2017 was a lousy year. for certain sure.
You can listen to the full song cycle here.
In 2017, I had a nervous breakdown from the abuse I had suffered from two people at the same time. I broke under the weight of the abuse, I broke from watching people who knew the truth uphold lies they knew were lies.
My friend Shawna Hamic (who is amazing, btw) took promotional photos for an EP I was working on. I ended up using the images for the next project instead.
I don't consider that EP, "sweet talk, convenience, & lies" as much a part of the canon as this next body of work I am going to talk about. It's an important one, for sure, but it's more a collection of afterthoughts than a solid body of work.
In the Fall of 2017, a friend of mine asked me if I had heard of the historical figure of Boudicca. I had never heard of this woman before, which surprised me, because I feel as though a warrior woman from my grandmother's homeland would have been right up my alley. It took me all of 10 minutes to read about her story and decided that the next project was going to be about her.
The song cycle would be called 'B O U D I C C A' and it would be an electronic song cycle for soprano and electronics. Up until this point, I had had ONE voice lesson ever with my friend Ben Roseberry. I had no idea what I was doing. But, you have to admit, this is impressive for someone who had never once in their life studied classical voice or had a voice lesson.
Comments
Post a Comment