In the bleak midwinter Frosty wind made moan Earth stood hard as iron Water like a stone

 I have a new song out today.πŸ’•


Whilst I am more than grateful for the rain we need so very badly, I don't appreciate being up since basically midnight and having to leave at 6:30am, wading knee-deep through the water. My shoes are finally dry.


I went to (what may be the last) Bethlehem, A.D. last Thursday, and stopped by the Redwood City Library beforehand. There was a Friends of the Library book sale, and I...bought too many books, as per usual. I realized I had never before read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe before (although I was vaguely familiar with it, remembering the 1979 cartoon). (Yes, I bought it because of the cover--but can you blame me?) I spent Christmas Eve-Eve reading it, and then watched the Disney adaptation from 2005 on Christmas Eve. What a happy coincidence, I didn't know the book had anything to do with Christmas! I found the book rather dry (and there was a lot that I did remember from the cartoon--MUCH more than I thought I did!) I actually thought the film version from 2005 was better than the book itself. (Don't @ me! πŸ™ˆ) It remediated a lot of what I didn't like about the book, and smoothed over some of the book's clumsy pacing. I like that Maugrim's role is expanded (and makes the parallels between the current WWII events of the book more pronounced), the girls' roles are expanded (Susan is still awful), and a lot of JESUS LION shit it cut back. The film is perfectly cast, and my ONLY real complaint was the White Witch's hair, which was horrendous. All in all, I think that I enjoyed it, and am going to re-read the book a couple more times before the year is out. My niece is very interested in the picture book version of the story, which I will absolutely get her. I will NEVER say no to a book.

I am looking at the weather for the next few days, and I am grateful that I will be home on Thursday and Friday this week. Rain is nice--to look at in your pajamas at home.









Comments