Feeling radical in cotton, purified in my satin But the bomb of the season is a velvet revolution

Let's talk about twee. (Yes, again, lol. Yes, again-again.)

But first, here are some outfits:

Tally up the parts of our love

20250314_083234

20250414_080543

20250414_080519

20250416_081634

20250422_080059

20250422_080011

20250421_080848

20250421_080902

20250425_075935

20250425_075942

20250424_081057

20250424_101232

20250424_080821

20250424_080823

20250423_080026

20250423_080041

20250403_081855

Recently, someone tried to categorize me as "midsize," a label, like plus size, I have rejected. Not that I think there is anything wrong with being either of those, but saying anything above an 8 is "midsize" is both inaccurate and unhelpful; I also think it is absolutely detrimental. Let me explain.

As a whole, I find the need to categorize everything a chore, but the insatiable need to categorize bodies as dangerous. Though especially in the realm of bodies as trends, and the commodification of bodies as aesthetics to purchase (don't even get my started on those bloody Kardashians), we are seeing an increasingly frightening return to the early 2000s obsession with thinness. This means we are slowing creeping in on a narrowing definition of thinness, meaning that increasingly smaller and smaller bodies are being classified as thin. I have seen way too many creators who are just out and out thin identifying as "midsize." Horrifying. Terrifying. 

Someone with a 29 to 30 inch waist is still a small person.

I've also noticed that these categorizations are only referring to female and female-presenting bodies; ah, yes, yet another way to police female/ femme/ female presenting bodies.

Men's pants have a twofold measurement instead of any kind of sizing that women are subjected to: the waist and the inseam. A MAN with a 30 inch waist is considered a thin/ smaller man. So why is this the size arbitrary cut off for women?

Before being co-opted by Zooey and Alexa, twee was a fashion that was free of body 'trends.' It was a revolutionary movement that sought change through gentleness, on each other and the planet. It was both size and queer inclusive. It was against fast fashion.

People also seem to forget that sizing is arbitrary and not standardized. Stores like Old Navy do not have size standardization in their own stores. Why classify bodies based on sizes, when sizes in the same store are not even consistent? 

With the early 2000's deadly body standards creeping back in, I refuse to allow my body, which is a small body, to be categorized. Bodies do not belong in categories. Bodies are to just exist as they are.




Comments